ASP.NET Core and Aurelia

I have been diving into new web development technologies.  For too many years to mention I have been working with Microsoft ASP.NET technologies.  Recently, I have started working with a variety of new ones, including:

  • Ruby on Rails
  • ASP.NET Core
  • Aurelia
  • Node.js
  • and the variety of associated helpers (Gulp, Bower, etc.)

It has been a great change for me, and really opened my eyes which had admittedly been a bit cloudy due to too many years working on the same stack.

What prompted me to write this post was what I was able to do this evening.  I recently bought a new MacBook Pro to work on a Ruby on Rails project.  (Also, my Lenovo laptop was over three years old.  It still runs well, but my kids keep dropping it, so it was a bit shaky.)  This evening, I opened up Visual Studio 2015 on a Windows machine running inside Parallels on my mac.  I create a new ASP.NET Core project, and committed it to Github.  I then cloned the repository on my mac, and open the project in VS Code and ran it.  So for most people the fact  that I was could browse a ASP.NET website on the same computer, at the same time on both Window and iOS is not that remarkable.  For me, it was really a statement for how far we have come with software development.  Furthermore, most of the code used to run the website was open-source and maintained by independent groups of people.  It is really a great time to be a web developer.

This lead me to my next adventure–Aurelia.  I have been messing around with Aurelia for about a week now, and so far I really like it.  It seems to be a nice clean middle ground between react.js and Angular.js.  I am looking forward to launching some open-source initiative using it in the coming months, so stay tuned.